PX7204 POWER QUALITY LT P C 30 0 3
- To understand the various power quality issues.
- To understand the concept of power and power factor in single phase and three phase systems supplying non linear loads
- To understand the conventional compensation techniques used for power factor correction and load voltage regulation.
- To understand the active compensation techniques used for power factor correction.
- To understand the active compensation techniques used for load voltage regulation.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Introduction – Characterisation of Electric Power Quality: Transients, short duration and long duration voltage variations, Voltage imbalance, waveform distortion, Voltage fluctuations, Power frequency variation, Power acceptability curves – power quality problems: poor load power factor, Non linear and unbalanced loads, DC offset in loads, Notching in load voltage, Disturbance in supply voltage – Power quality standards.
UNIT II ANALYSIS OF SINGLE PHASE AND THREE PHASE SYSTEM 9
Single phase linear and non linear loads – single phase sinusoidal, non sinusoidal source – supplying linear and nonlinear load – three phase Balance system – three phase unbalanced system – three phase unbalanced and distorted source supplying non linear loads – convept of pf – three phase three wire – three phase four wire system.
UNIT III CONVENTIONAL LOAD COMPENSATION METHODS 9
Principle of load compensation and voltage regulation – classical load balancing problem : open loop balancing – closed loop balancing, current balancing – harmonic reduction and voltage sag reduction – analysis of unbalance – instantaneous of real and reactive powers – Extraction of fundamental sequence component from measured.
UNIT IV LOAD COMPENSATION USING DSTATCOM 9
Compensating single – phase loads – Ideal three phase shunt compensator structure – generating reference currents using instantaneous PQ theory – Instantaneous symmetrical components theory – Generating reference currents when the souce is unbalanced – Realization and control of DSTATCOM – DSTATCOM in Voltage control mode
UNIT V SERIES COMPENSATION OF POWER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM 9
Rectifier supported DVR – Dc Capacitor supported DVR – DVR Structure – voltage Restoration – Series Active Filter – Unified power quality conditioner.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
- Arindam Ghosh “Power Quality Enhancement Using Custom Power Devices”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002
- G.T.Heydt, “Electric Power Quality”, Stars in a Circle Publications, 1994(2nd edition)
- Power Quality – R.C. Duggan
- Power System Harmonics –A.J. Arrillga
- Power Electronic Converter Harmonics –Derek A. Paice