PX7203 SPECIAL ELECTRICAL MACHINES LT P C 30 0 3
- To review the fundamental concepts of permanent magnets and the operation of permanent magnet brushless DC motors.
- To introduce the concepts of permanent magnet brushless synchronous motors and synchronous reluctance motors.
- To develop the control methods and operating principles of switched reluctance motors.
- To introduce the concepts of stepper motors and its applications.
- To understand the basic concepts of other special machines.
UNIT I PERMANENT MAGNET BRUSHLESS DC MOTORS 9
Fundamentals of Permanent Magnets- Types- Principle of operation- Magnetic circuit analysis- EMF and Torque equations- Characteristics and control
UNIT II PERMANENT MAGNET SYNCHROUNOUS MOTORS 9
Principle of operation – EMF and Torque equations – Phasor diagram – Power controllers – Torque speed characteristics – Digital controllers – Constructional features, operating principle and characteristics of synchronous reluctance motor.
UNIT III SWITCHED RELUCTANCE MOTORS 9
Constructional features –Principle of operation- Torque prediction–CharacteristicsPower controllers – Control of SRM drive- Sensorless operation of SRM – Applications.
UNIT IV STEPPER MOTORS 9
Constructional features –Principle of operation –Types – Torque predictions – Linear and Non-linear analysis – Characteristics – Drive circuits – Closed loop control –Applications.
UNIT V OTHER SPECIAL MACHINES 9
Principle of operation and characteristics of Hysteresis motor – AC series motors – Linear motor – Applications. TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- T.J.E. Miller, ‘Brushless magnet and Reluctance motor drives’, Claredon press, London, 1989.
- R.Krishnan, ‘ Switched Reluctance motor drives’ , CRC press, 2001.
- T.Kenjo, ‘ Stepping motors and their microprocessor controls’, Oxford University press, New Delhi, 2000.
- T.Kenjo and S.Nagamori, ‘Permanent magnet and Brushless DC motors’, Clarendon press, London, 1988.
- R.Krishnan, ‘ Electric motor drives’ , Prentice hall of India,2002.
- D.P.Kothari and I.J.Nagrath, ‘ Electric machines’, Tata Mc Graw hill publishing company, New Delhi, Third Edition, 2004.
- Irving L.Kosow, “Electric Machinery and Transformers” Pearson Education, Second Edition, 2007.