PX7201 SOLID STATE DC DRIVES L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To understand steady state operation and transient dynamics of a motor load system
- To study and analyze the operation of the converter / chopper fed DC drive, both qualitatively and quantitatively.
- To analyze and design the current and speed controllers for a closed loop solid state DC motor drive.
- To understand the implementation of control algorithms using microcontrollers and phase locked loop.
UNIT I DC MOTORS FUNDAMENTALS AND MECHANICAL SYSTEMS 9
DC motor- Types, induced emf, speed-torque relations; Speed control – Armature and field speed control; Ward Leonard control – Constant torque and constant horse power operation – Introduction to high speed drives and modern drives. Characteristics of mechanical system – dynamic equations, components of torque, types of load; Requirements of drives characteristics – stability of drives – multi-quadrant operation; Drive elements, types of motor duty and selection of motor rating.
UNIT II CONVERTER CONTROL 9
Principle of phase control – Fundamental relations; Analysis of series and separately excited DC motor with single-phase and three-phase converters – waveforms, performance parameters, performance characteristics. Continuous and discontinuous armature current operations; Current ripple and its effect on performance; Operation with free wheeling diode; Implementation of braking schemes; Drive employing dual converter.
UNIT III CHOPPER CONTROL 9
Introduction to time ratio control and frequency modulation; Class A, B, C, D and E chopper controlled DC motor – performance analysis, multi-quadrant control – Chopper based implementation of braking schemes; Multi-phase chopper; Related problems.
UNIT IV CLOSED LOOP CONTROL 9
Modeling of drive elements – Equivalent circuit, transfer function of self, separately excited DC motors; Linear Transfer function model of power converters; Sensing and feeds back elements – Closed loop speed control – current and speed loops, P, PI and PID controllers – response comparison. Simulation of converter and chopper fed d.c drive.
UNIT V DIGITAL CONTROL OF D.C DRIVE 9
Phase Locked Loop and micro-computer control of DC drives – Program flow chart for constant horse power and load disturbed operations; Speed detection and current sensing circuits.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
- Gopal K Dubey, “Power Semiconductor controlled Drives”, Prentice Hall Inc., New Yersy, 1989.
- R.Krishnan, “Electric Motor Drives – Modeling, Analysis and Control”, Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2010.
- Gobal K.Dubey, “Fundamentals of Electrical Drives”, Narosal Publishing House, New Delhi, Second Edition ,2009
- Vedam Subramanyam, “Electric Drives – Concepts and Applications”, Tata McGraw-Hill publishing company Ltd., New Delhi, 2002.
- P.C Sen “Thyristor DC Drives”, John wiely and sons, New York, 1981.