PX7002 SMPS AND UPS L T P C 3 0 0 3
To study low power SMPS and UPS technologies
To provide conceptual knowledge in modern power electronic converters and its applications in electric power utility.
UNIT I DC-DC CONVERTERS 9
Principles of stepdown and stepup converters – Analysis and state space modeling of Buck, Boost, Buck- Boost and Cuk converters.
UNIT II SWITCHING MODE POWER CONVERTERS 9
Analysis and state space modeling of flyback, Forward, Luo, Half bridge and full bridge converters- control circuits and PWM techniques.
UNIT III RESONANT CONVERTERS 9
Introduction- classification- basic concepts- Resonant switch- Load Resonant converters- ZVS , Clamped voltage topologies- DC link inverters with Zero Voltage Switching- Series and parallel Resonant inverters- Voltage control .
UNIT IV DC-AC CONVERTERS 9
Single phase and three phase inverters, control using various (sine PWM, SVPWM and advanced modulation) techniques, various harmonic elimination techniques- Multilevel inverters- Concepts – Types: Diode clamped- Flying capacitor- Cascaded types- Applications.
UNIT V POWER CONDITIONERS, UPS & FILTERS 9
Introduction- Power line disturbances- Power conditioners –UPS: offline UPS, Online UPS, Applications – Filters: Voltage filters, Series-parallel resonant filters, filter without series capacitors, filter for PWM VSI, current filter, DC filters – Design of inductor and transformer for PE applications – Selection of capacitors. TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- M.H. Rashid – Power Electronics handbook, Elsevier Publication, 2001.
- Kjeld Thorborg, “Power Electronics – In theory and Practice”, Overseas Press, First Indian Edition 2005.
- Philip T Krein, “ Elements of Power Electronics”, Oxford University Press
- Ned Mohan, Tore.M.Undeland, William.P.Robbins, Power Electronics converters, Applications and design- Third Edition- John Wiley and Sons- 2006
- M.H. Rashid – Power Electronics circuits, devices and applications- third edition Prentice Hall of India New Delhi, 2007