ME8593- DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS Syllabus 2017 Regulation,ME8593- DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ME8593 DESIGN OF MACHINE ELEMENTS L T P C
3 0 0 3
- To familiarize the various steps involved in the Design Process
- To understand the principles involved in evaluating the shape and dimensions of a component to satisfy functional and strength requirements.
- To learn to use standard practices and standard data
- To learn to use catalogues and standard machine components
- (Use of P S G Design Data Book is permitted)
UNIT I STEADY STRESSES AND VARIABLE STRESSES IN MACHINE MEMBERS 9
Introduction to the design process – factors influencing machine design, selection of materials based on mechanical properties – Preferred numbers, fits and tolerances – Direct, Bending and torsional stress equations – Impact and shock loading – calculation of principle stresses for various load combinations, eccentric loading – curved beams – crane hook and ‘C’ frame- Factor of safety – theories of failure – Design based on strength and stiffness – stress concentration – Design for variable loading.
UNIT II SHAFTS AND COUPLINGS 9
Design of solid and hollow shafts based on strength, rigidity and critical speed – Keys, keyways and splines – Rigid and flexible couplings.
UNIT III TEMPORARY AND PERMANENT JOINTS 9
Threaded fastners – Bolted joints including eccentric loading, Knuckle joints, Cotter joints – Welded joints, riveted joints for structures – theory of bonded joints.
UNIT IV ENERGY STORING ELEMENTS AND ENGINE COMPONENTS 9
Various types of springs, optimization of helical springs – rubber springs – Flywheels considering stresses in rims and arms for engines and punching machines- Connecting Rods and crank shafts.
UNIT V BEARINGS 9
Sliding contact and rolling contact bearings – Hydrodynamic journal bearings, Sommerfeld Number, Raimondi and Boyd graphs, — Selection of Rolling Contact bearings.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
Upon the completion of this course the students will be able to
Explain the influence of steady and variable stresses in machine component design.
Apply the concepts of design to shafts, keys and couplings.
Apply the concepts of design to temporary and permanent joints.
Apply the concepts of design to energy absorbing members, connecting rod and crank shaft.
Apply the concepts of design to bearings.
1. Bhandari V, “Design of Machine Elements”, 4th Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Book Co, 2016.
2. Joseph Shigley, Charles Mischke, Richard Budynas and Keith Nisbett “Mechanical
Engineering Design”, 9th Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2011.
1. Alfred Hall, Halowenko, A and Laughlin, H., “Machine Design”, Tata McGraw-Hill BookCo.(Schaum’s Outline), 2010
2. Ansel Ugural, “Mechanical Design – An Integral Approach”, 1st Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Book Co, 2003.
3. P.C. Gope, “Machine Design – Fundamental and Application”, PHI learning private ltd, New Delhi, 2012.
4. R.B. Patel, “Design of Machine Elements”, MacMillan Publishers India P Ltd., Tech-Max Educational resources, 2011.
5. Robert C. Juvinall and Kurt M. Marshek, “Fundamentals of Machine Design”, 4th Edition, Wiley, 2005
6. Sundararajamoorthy T. V. Shanmugam .N, “Machine Design”, Anuradha Publications, Chennai, 2015.