ME8501- METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS Syllabus 2017 Regulation,ME8501- METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ME8501 METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS L T P C
3 0 0 3
- To provide knowledge on various Metrological equipments available to measure the dimension of the components.
- To provide knowledge on the correct procedure to be adopted to measure the dimension of the components.
UNIT I BASICS OF METROLOGY 9
Introduction to Metrology – Need – Elements – Work piece, Instruments – Persons – Environment – their effect on Precision and Accuracy – Errors – Errors in Measurements – Types – Control – Types of standards.
UNIT II LINEAR AND ANGULAR MEASUREMENTS 9
Linear Measuring Instruments – Evolution – Types – Classification – Limit gauges – gauge design – terminology – procedure – concepts of interchange ability and selective assembly – Angular measuring instruments – Types – Bevel protractor clinometers angle gauges, spirit levels sine bar – Angle alignment telescope – Autocollimator – Applications.
UNIT III ADVANCES IN METROLOGY 9
Basic concept of lasers Advantages of lasers – laser Interferometers – types – DC and AC Lasers interferometer – Applications – Straightness – Alignment. Basic concept of CMM – Types of CMM – Constructional features – Probes – Accessories – Software – Applications – Basic concepts of Machine Vision System – Element – Applications.
UNIT IV FORM MEASUREMENT 9
Principles and Methods of straightness – Flatness measurement – Thread measurement, gear measurement, surface finish measurement, Roundness measurement – Applications.
UNIT V MEASUREMENT OF POWER, FLOW AND TEMPERATURE 9
Force, torque, power – mechanical , Pneumatic, Hydraulic and Electrical type. Flow measurement: Venturimeter, Orifice meter, rotameter, pitot tube – Temperature: bimetallic strip, thermocouples, electrical resistance thermometer – Reliability and Calibration – Readability and Reliability.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
Upon the completion of this course the students will be able to
Describe the concepts of measurements to apply in various metrological instruments
Outline the principles of linear and angular measurement tools used for industrial applications
Explain the procedure for conducting computer aided inspection
Demonstrate the techniques of form measurement used for industrial components
Discuss various measuring techniques of mechanical properties in industrial applications
1. Gupta. I.C., “Engineering Metrology”, Dhanpatrai Publications, 2005.
2. Jain R.K. “Engineering Metrology”, Khanna Publishers, 2009.
1. Alan S. Morris, “The essence of Measurement”, Prentice Hall of India 1996.
2. Beckwith, Marangoni, Lienhard, “Mechanical Measurements”, Pearson Education , 2014.
3. Charles Reginald Shotbolt, “Metrology for Engineers”, 5th edition, Cengage Learning EMEA,1990.
4. Donald Peckman, “Industrial Instrumentation”, Wiley Eastern, 2004.
5. Raghavendra ,Krishnamurthy “Engineering Metrology & Measurements”, Oxford Univ. Press, 2013.