ME8493- THERMAL ENGINEERING – I Syllabus 2017 Regulation
THERMAL ENGINEERING – I Syllabus 2017 Regulation,ME8493- THERMAL ENGINEERING – I Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ME8493 THERMAL ENGINEERING – I L T P C
3 0 0 3
- To integrate the concepts, laws and methodologies from the first course in thermodynamics into analysis of cyclic processes
- To apply the thermodynamic concepts into various thermal application like IC engines, Steam.
- Turbines, Compressors and Refrigeration and Air conditioning systems
(Use of standard refrigerant property data book, Steam Tables, Mollier diagram and Psychrometric chart permitted)
UNIT I GAS AND STEAM POWER CYCLES 9
Air Standard Cycles – Otto, Diesel, Dual, Brayton – Cycle Analysis, Performance and Comparison– Rankine, reheat and regenerative cycle.
UNIT II RECIPROCATING AIR COMPRESSOR 9
Classification and comparison, working principle, work of compression – with and without clearance, Volumetric efficiency, Isothermal efficiency and Isentropic efficiency. Multistage air compressor with Intercooling. Working principle and comparison of Rotary compressors with reciprocating air compressors.
UNIT III INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES AND COMBUSTION 9
IC engine – Classification, working, components and their functions. Ideal and actual : Valve and port timing diagrams, p-v diagrams- two stroke & four stroke, and SI & CI engines – comparison. Geometric, operating, and performance comparison of SI and CI engines. Desirable properties and qualities of fuels. Air-fuel ratio calculation – lean and rich mixtures. Combustion in SI & CI Engines – Knocking – phenomena and control.
UNIT IV INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND SYSTEMS 9
Performance parameters and calculations. Morse and Heat Balance tests. Multipoint Fuel Injection system and Common Rail Direct lnjection systems. Ignition systems – Magneto, Battery and Electronic. Lubrication and Cooling systems. Concepts of Supercharging and Turbocharging – Emission Norms.
UNIT V GAS TURBINES 9
Gas turbine cycle analysis – open and closed cycle. Performance and its improvement – Regenerative, Intercooled, Reheated cycles and their combinations. Materials for Turbines.
Upon the completion of this course the students will be able to
Apply thermodynamic concepts to different air standard cycles and solve problems.
Solve problems in single stage and multistage air compressors
Explain the functioning and features of IC engines, components and auxiliaries.
Calculate performance parameters of IC Engines.
Explain the flow in Gas turbines and solve problems.
1. Kothandaraman.C.P., Domkundwar. S,Domkundwar. A.V., “A course in thermal Engineering”, Fifth Edition, ”Dhanpat Rai & sons , 2016
2. Rajput. R. K., “Thermal Engineering” S.Chand Publishers, 2017
1. Arora.C.P, ”Refrigeration and Air Conditioning ,” Tata McGraw-Hill Publishers 2008
2. Ganesan V..” Internal Combustion Engines” , Third Edition, Tata Mcgraw-Hill 2012
3. Ramalingam. K.K., “Thermal Engineering”, SCITECH Publications (India) Pvt. Ltd., 2009.
4. Rudramoorthy, R, “Thermal Engineering “,Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi,2003
5. Sarkar, B.K,”Thermal Engineering” Tata McGraw-Hill Publishers, 2007