ME8392- MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY Syllabus 2017 Regulation
MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY Syllabus 2017 Regulation ME8392- MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ME8392 MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY L T P C
3 0 0 3
- The automobile components such as piston, connecting rod, crankshaft, engine block, front axle, frame, body etc., are manufactured by various types of production processes involving casting, welding, machining, metal forming, power metallurgy etc. Hence B.E. Automobile Engineering students must study this course Production Technology.
UNIT I CASTING 8
Casting types, procedure to make sand mould, types of core making, moulding tools, machine moulding, special moulding processes – CO2 moulding; shell moulding, investment mounding, permanent mould casting, pressure die casting, centrifugal casting, continuous casting, casting defects.
UNIT II WELDING 8
Classification of welding processes. Principles of Oxy-acetylene gas welding. A.C metal arc welding, resistance welding, submerged arc welding, tungsten inert gas welding, metal inert gas welding, plasma arc welding, thermit welding, electron beam welding, laser beam welding, defects in welding, soldering and brazing.
UNIT III MACHINING 13
General principles (with schematic diagrams only) of working and commonly performed operations in the following machines: Lathe, Shaper, Planer, Horizontal milling machine, Universal drilling machine, Cylindrical grinding machine, Capstan and Turret lathe. Basics of CNC machines. General principles and applications of the following processes: Abrasive jet machining, Ultrasonic machining, Electric discharge machining, Electro chemical machining, Plasma arc machining, Electron beam machining and Laser beam machining.
UNIT IV FORMING AND SHAPING OF PLASTICS 7
Types of plastics – Characteristics of the forming and shaping processes – Moulding of Thermoplastics – Working principles and typical applications of – Injection moulding – Plunger and screw machines – Blow moulding – Rotational moulding – Film blowing – Extrusion – Typical industrial applications – Thermoforming – Processing of Thermosets – Working principles and typical applications – Compression moulding – Transfer moulding – Bonding of Thermoplastics – Fusion and solvent methods – Induction and Ultrasonic methods
UNIT V METAL FORMING AND POWDER METALLURGY 9
Principles and applications of the following processes: Forging, Rolling, Extrusion, Wire drawing and Spinning, Powder metallurgy – Principal steps involved advantages, disadvantages and limitations of powder metallurgy.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- The Students can able to use different manufacturing process and use this in industry for component production
- Hajra Choudhury, “Elements of Workshop Technology”, Vol. I and II, Media Promoters and Publishers Pvt., Ltd., Mumbai, 2005.
- Nagendra Parashar B.S. and Mittal R.K., “Elements of Manufacturing Processes”, Prentice-Hall of India Private Limited, 2007.
- Adithan. M and Gupta. A.B., “Manufacturing Technology”, New Age, 2006.
- “H.M.T. Production Technology – Handbook”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2000.
- Jain. R.K. and S.C. Gupta, “Production Technology”, Khanna Publishers. 16th Edition,2001.
- Roy. A. Linberg, “Process and Materials of Manufacture”, PHI, 2000.
- Serope Kalpajian, Steven R.Schmid, “Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials”, Fourth Edition, Pearson Education, Inc. 2007.