ME8381- COMPUTER AIDED MACHINE DRAWING Syllabus 2017 Regulation

 ME8381- COMPUTER AIDED MACHINE DRAWING Syllabus 2017 Regulation

ME8381                 COMPUTER AIDED MACHINE DRAWING                             L T P C
                                                                                                                            0 0 4 2


  • To make the students understand and interpret drawings of machine components
  • To prepare assembly drawings both manually and using standard CAD packages
  • To familiarize the students with Indian Standards on drawing practices and standard components
  • To gain practical experience in handling 2D drafting and 3D modeling software systems.

UNIT I DRAWING STANDARDS & FITS AND TOLERANCES                                                                12

Code of practice for Engineering Drawing, BIS specifications – Welding symbols, riveted joints, keys, fasteners – Reference to hand book for the selection of standard components like bolts, nuts, screws, keys etc. – Limits, Fits – Tolerancing of individual dimensions – Specification of Fits – Preparation of production drawings and reading of part and assembly drawings, basic principles of geometric dimensioning & tolerancing.


  • Drawing, Editing, Dimensioning, Layering, Hatching, Block, Array, Detailing, Detailed drawing.
  • Bearings – Bush bearing, Plummer block
  • Valves – Safety and non-return valves.

UNIT III 3D GEOMETRIC MODELING AND ASSEMBLY                                                                                                                                                                                      32

Sketcher – Datum planes – Protrusion – Holes – Part modeling – Extrusion – Revolve – Sweep –
Loft – Blend – Fillet – Pattern – Chamfer – Round – Mirror – Section – Assembly

  • Couplings – Flange, Universal, Oldham’s, Muff, Gear couplings
  • Joints – Knuckle, Gib & cotter, strap, sleeve & cotter joints
  • Engine parts – Piston, connecting rod, cross-head (vertical and horizontal), stuffing box, multi-plate clutch
  • Miscellaneous machine components – Screw jack, machine vice, tail stock, chuck, vane and gear pump

                                                          TOTAL:60 PERIODS

Note: 25% of assembly drawings must be done manually and remaining 75% of assembly drawings must be done by using any CAD software. The above tasks can be performed manually and using standard commercial 2D / 3D CAD software

Related Post


Upon the completion of this course the students will be able to
CO1: Follow the drawing standards, Fits and Tolerances
CO2: Re-create part drawings, sectional views and assembly drawings as per standards


1. Gopalakrishna K.R., “Machine Drawing”, 22nd Edition, Subhas Stores Books Corner, Bangalore, 2013


1. N. D. Bhatt and V.M. Panchal, “Machine Drawing”, 48th Edition, Charotar Publishers,2013
2. Junnarkar, N.D., “Machine Drawing”, 1st Edition, Pearson Education, 2004
3. N. Siddeshwar, P. Kanniah, V.V.S. Sastri, ”Machine Drawing” , published by Tata Mc GrawHill,2006
4. S. Trymbaka Murthy, “A Text Book of Computer Aided Machine Drawing”, CBS Publishers, New Delhi, 2007