IT8073-INFORMATION SECURITY Syllabus 2017 Regulation
INFORMATION SECURITY Syllabus 2017 Regulation,IT8073-INFORMATION SECURITY Syllabus 2017 Regulation
IT8073 INFORMATION SECURITY L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To understand the basics of Information Security
- To know the legal, ethical and professional issues in Information Security
- To know the aspects of risk management
- To become aware of various standards in this area
- To know the technological aspects of Information Security
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
History, What is Information Security?, Critical Characteristics of Information, NSTISSC Security Model, Components of an Information System, Securing the Components, Balancing Security and Access, The SDLC, The Security SDLC
UNIT II SECURITY INVESTIGATION 9
Need for Security, Business Needs, Threats, Attacks, Legal, Ethical and Professional Issues – An Overview of Computer Security – Access Control Matrix, Policy-Security policies, Confidentiality policies, Integrity policies and Hybrid policies
UNIT III SECURITY ANALYSIS 9
Risk Management: Identifying and Assessing Risk, Assessing and Controlling Risk – Systems: Access Control Mechanisms, Information Flow and Confinement Problem
UNIT IV LOGICAL DESIGN 9
Blueprint for Security, Information Security Policy, Standards and Practices, ISO 17799/BS 7799, NIST Models, VISA International Security Model, Design of Security Architecture, Planning for Continuity
UNIT V PHYSICAL DESIGN 9
Security Technology, IDS, Scanning and Analysis Tools, Cryptography, Access Control Devices, Physical Security, Security and Personnel
TOTAL 45 PERIODS
At the end of this course, the students should be able to:
- Discuss the basics of information security
- Illustrate the legal, ethical and professional issues in information security
- Demonstrate the aspects of risk management.
- Become aware of various standards in the Information Security System
- Design and implementation of Security Techniques.
- Michael E Whitman and Herbert J Mattord, ―Principles of Information Security, Vikas Publishing House, New Delhi, 2003
- Micki Krause, Harold F. Tipton, ― Handbook of Information Security Management, Vol 1-3 CRCPress LLC, 2004.
- Stuart McClure, Joel Scrambray, George Kurtz, ―Hacking Exposed, Tata McGraw- Hill, 2003
- Matt Bishop, ― Computer Security Art and Science, Pearson/PHI, 2002.