GE8073- FUNDAMENTALS OF NANOSCIENCE Syllabus 2017 Regulation
FUNDAMENTALS OF NANOSCIENCE Syllabus 2017 Regulation,GE8073 FUNDAMENTALS OF NANOSCIENCE Syllabus 2017 Regulation
GE8073 FUNDAMENTALS OF NANOSCIENCE L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To learn about basis of nanomaterial science, preparation method, types and application
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 8
Nanoscale Science and Technology- Implications for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Engineering-Classifications of nanostructured materials- nano particles- quantum dots, nanowires-ultra-thinfilms-multilayered materials. Length Scales involved and effect on properties: Mechanical, Electronic, Optical, Magnetic and Thermal properties. Introduction to properties and motivation for study (qualitative only).
UNIT II GENERAL METHODS OF PREPARATION 9
Bottom-up Synthesis-Top-down Approach: Co-Precipitation, Ultrasonication, Mechanical Milling, Colloidal routes, Self-assembly, Vapour phase deposition, MOCVD, Sputtering, Evaporation, Molecular Beam Epitaxy, Atomic Layer Epitaxy, MOMBE.
UNIT III NANOMATERIALS 12
Nanoforms of Carbon – Buckminster fullerene- graphene and carbon nanotube, Single wall carbon Nanotubes (SWCNT) and Multi wall carbon nanotubes (MWCNT)- methods of synthesis(arc-growth, laser ablation, CVD routes, Plasma CVD), structure-property Relationships applications- Nanometal oxides-ZnO, TiO2,MgO, ZrO2, NiO, nanoalumina, CaO, AgTiO2, Ferrites, Nanoclays-functionalization and applications-Quantum wires, Quantum dots-preparation, properties and applications.
UNIT IV CHARACTERIZATION TECHNIQUES 9
X-ray diffraction technique, Scanning Electron Microscopy – environmental techniques, Transmission Electron Microscopy including high-resolution imaging, Surface Analysis techniques- AFM, SPM, STM, SNOM, ESCA, SIMS-Nanoindentation.
UNIT V APPLICATIONS 7
NanoInfoTech: Information storage- nanocomputer, molecular switch, super chip, nanocrystal, Nanobiotechlogy: nanoprobes in medical diagnostics and biotechnology, Nano medicines, Targetted drug delivery, Bioimaging – Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), Nano Electro Mechanical Systems (NEMS)- Nanosensors, nano crystalline silver for bacterial inhibition, Nanoparticles for sunbarrier products – In Photostat, printing, solar cell, battery.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- Will familiarize about the science of nanomaterials
- Will demonstrate the preparation of nanomaterials
- Will develop knowledge in characteristic nanomaterial
TEXT BOOKS :
- A.S. Edelstein and R.C. Cammearata, eds., ―Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties and Applications, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol and Philadelphia, 1996.
- N John Dinardo, ―Nanoscale Charecterisation of surfaces & Interfaces, 2nd edition, Weinheim Cambridge, Wiley-VCH, 2000.
- G Timp, ―Nanotechnology, AIP press/Springer, 1999.
- Akhlesh Lakhtakia,―The Hand Book of Nano Technology, Nanometer Structure, Theory, Modeling and Simulations. Prentice-Hall of India (P) Ltd, New Delhi, 2007.