GE6251 BASIC CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING SYLLABUS REGULATION 2013
GE6251 BASIC CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING L T P C 4 0 0 4
- To impart basic knowledge on Civil and Mechanical Engineering.
- To explain the materials used for the construction of civilized structures.
- To make the understand the fundamentals of construction of structure.
- To explain the component of power plant units and detailed explanation to IC engines their working
- To explain the R & AC system.
A – CIVIL ENGINEERING
UNIT I SURVEYING AND CIVIL ENGINEERING MATERIALS 15
Surveying: Objects – types – classification – principles – measurements of distances – angles –leveling – determination of areas – illustrative examples.Civil Engineering Materials: Bricks – stones – sand – cement – concrete – steel sections.
UNIT II BUILDING COMPONENTS AND STRUCTURES 15
Foundations: Types, Bearing capacity – Requirement of good foundations. Superstructure: Brick masonry – stone masonry – beams – columns – lintels – roofing – flooring –plastering – Mechanics – Internal and external forces – stress – strain – elasticity – Types of Bridges and Dams – Basics of Interior Design and Landscaping.
TOTAL: 30 PERIODS
B – MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
UNIT III POWER PLANT ENGINEERING 10
Introduction, Classification of Power Plants – Working principle of steam, Gas, Diesel, Hydro-electric and Nuclear Power plants – Merits and Demerits – Pumps and turbines – working principle of Reciprocating pumps (single acting and double acting) – Centrifugal Pump.
UNIT IV IC ENGINES 10
Internal combustion engines as automobile power plant – Working principle of Petrol and Diesel Engines – Four stroke and two stroke cycles – Comparison of four stroke and two stroke engines – Boiler as a power plant.
UNIT V REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM 10
Terminology of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. Principle of vapour compression and absorption system – Layout of typical domestic refrigerator – Window and Split type room Air conditioner.
TOTAL: 30 PERIODS
- Ability to explain the usage of construction material and proper selection of construction materials.
- Ability to design building structures.
- Ability to identify the components use in power plant cycle.
- Ability to demonstrate working principles of petrol and diesel engine.
- Ability to explain the components of refrigeration and Air conditioning cycle.
- Shanmugam G and Palanichamy M S, “Basic Civil and Mechanical Engineering”, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co., New Delhi, 1996.
- Ramamrutham S., “Basic Civil Engineering”, Dhanpat Rai Publishing Co. (P) Ltd. 1999.
- Seetharaman S., “Basic Civil Engineering”, Anuradha Agencies, 2005.
- Venugopal K. and Prahu Raja V., “Basic Mechanical Engineering”, Anuradha Publishers, Kumbakonam, 2000.
- Shantha Kumar S R J., “Basic Mechanical Engineering”, Hi-tech Publications, Mayiladuthurai,2000.
GE6251 BASIC CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING SYLLABUS REGULATION 2013- PDF Click Here To Download
GE6251 BASIC CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING SYLLABUS REGULATION 2013- PDF