GE6162 ENGINEERING PRACTICES LABORATORY SYLLABUS REGULATION 2013
GE6162 ENGINEERING PRACTICES LABORATORY L T P C 0 0 3 2
- To provide exposure to the students with hands on experience on various basic engineering practices in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
GROUP A (CIVIL & MECHANICAL)
I CIVIL ENGINEERING PRACTICE 9
(a) Study of plumbing and carpentry components of residential and industrial buildings. Safety aspects.
(a) Study of pipeline joints, its location and functions: valves, taps, couplings, unions, reducers, elbows in household fittings.
(b) Study of pipe connections requirements for pumps and turbines.
(c) Preparation of plumbing line sketches for water supply and sewage works.
(d) Hands-on-exercise:Basic pipe connections – Mixed pipe material connection – Pipe connections with different joining components.
(e) Demonstration of plumbing requirements of high-rise buildings.Carpentry using Power Tools only:
(a) Study of the joints in roofs, doors, windows and furniture. (b) Hands-on-exercise:
Wood work, joints by sawing, planing and cutting.
II MECHANICAL ENGINEERING PRACTICE 13
(a) Preparation of arc welding of butt joints, lap joints and tee joints. (b) Gas welding practice
(a) Simple Turning and Taper turning
(b) Drilling Practice
Sheet Metal Work:
(a) Forming & Bending:
(b) Model making – Trays, funnels, etc.
(c) Different type of joints.
Machine assembly practice:
(a) Study of centrifugal pump
(b) Study of air conditioner
(a) Smithy operations, upsetting, swaging, setting down and bending. Example –
Exercise – Production of hexagonal headed bolt.
(b) Foundry operations like mould preparation for gear and step cone pulley.
(c) Fitting – Exercises – Preparation of square fitting and vee – fitting models.
GROUP B (ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS)
III ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING PRACTICE 10
- Residential house wiring using switches, fuse, indicator, lamp and energy meter.
- Fluorescent lamp wiring.
- Stair case wiring
- Measurement of electrical quantities – voltage, current, power & power factor in RLC circuit.
- Measurement of energy using single phase energy meter.
- Measurement of resistance to earth of an electrical equipment.
IV ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING PRACTICE 13
- Study of Electronic components and equipments – Resistor, colour coding measurement of AC signal parameter (peak-peak, rms period, frequency) using CR.
- Study of logic gates AND, OR, EOR and NOT.
- Generation of Clock Signal.
- Soldering practice – Components Devices and Circuits – Using general purpose PCB.
- Measurement of ripple factor of HWR and FWR.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- ability to fabricate carpentry components and pipe connections including plumbing works.
- ability to use welding equipments to join the structures.
- ability to fabricate electrical and electronics circuits.
- Jeyachandran , Natarajan S. & Balasubramanian S., “A Primer on Engineering Practices Laboratory”, Anuradha Publications, 2007.
- Jeyapoovan T., Saravanapandian M. & Pranitha S., “Engineering Practices Lab Manual” Vikas PuplishingHouse Pvt.Ltd, 2006.
- Bawa H.S., “Workshop Practice”, Tata McGraw – Hill Publishing Company Limited, 2007.
- Rajendra Prasad A. & Sarma P.M.M.S., “Workshop Practice”, Sree Sai Publication, 2002.
- Kannaiah P. & Narayana K.L., “Manual on Workshop Practice”, Scitech Publications, 1999.
LIST OF EQUIPMENT FOR A BATCH OF 30 STUDENTS: CIVIL
- Assorted components for plumbing consisting of metallic pipes, plastic pipes, flexible pipes, couplings, unions, elbows, plugs and other fittings. 15 Sets.
- Carpentry vice (fitted to work bench) 15 Nos.
- Standard woodworking tools 15 Sets.
- Models of industrial trusses, door joints, furniture joints 5 each
- Power Tools: (a) Rotary Hammer 2 Nos
- (b) Demolition Hammer 2 Nos
- (c) Circular Saw 2 Nos
- (d) Planer 2 No
- (e) Hand Drilling Machine 2 Nos
- (f) Jigsaw 2 Nos
- Arc welding transformer with cables and holders 5 Nos.
- Welding booth with exhaust facility 5 Nos.
- Welding accessories like welding shield, chipping hammer,
wire brush, etc. 5 Sets.
- Oxygen and acetylene gas cylinders, blow pipe and other
welding outfit. 2 Nos.
- Centre lathe 2 Nos.
- Hearth furnace, anvil and smithy tools 2 Sets.
- Moulding table, foundry tools 2 Sets.
- Power Tool: Angle Grinder 2 Nos
- Study-purpose items: centrifugal pump, air-conditioner One each.
- Assorted electrical components for house wiring 15 Sets
- Electrical measuring instruments 10 Sets
- Study purpose items: Iron box, fan and regulator, emergency lamp 1 each
- Megger (250V/500V) 1 No.
- Power Tools: (a) Range Finder 2 Nos
(b) Digital Live-wire detector 2 Nos
- Soldering guns 10 Nos.
- Assorted electronic components for making circuits 50 Nos.
- Small PCBs 10 Nos.
- Multimeters 10 Nos.
- Study purpose items: Telephone, FM radio, low-voltage power supply
GE6162 ENGINEERING PRACTICES LABORATORY SYLLABUS REGULATION 2013 PDF Click Here For Download
GE6162 ENGINEERING PRACTICES LABORATORY SYLLABUS REGULATION 2017
GE6162 ENGINEERING PRACTICES LABORATORY SYLLABUS REGULATION 2017 PDF