CY8151-Engineering Chemistry Syllabus 2017 Regulation
CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To make the students conversant with boiler feed water requirements, related problems and water treatment techniques.
- To develop an understanding of the basic concepts of phase rule and its applications to single and two component systems and appreciate the purpose and significance of alloys.
- Preparation, properties and applications of engineering materials.
- Types of fuels, calorific value calculations, manufacture of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels.
- Principles and generation of energy in batteries, nuclear reactors, solar cells, wind mills and fuel cells.
UNIT I WATER AND ITS TREATMENT 9
Hardness of water – types – expression of hardness – units – estimation of hardness of water by EDTA – numerical problems – boiler troubles (scale and sludge) – treatment of boiler feed water – Internal treatment (phosphate, colloidal, sodium aluminate and calgon conditioning) external treatment
– Ion exchange process, zeolite process – desalination of brackish water – Reverse Osmosis.
UNIT II SURFACE CHEMISTRY AND CATALYSIS 9
Adsorption: Types of adsorption – adsorption of gases on solids – adsorption of solute from solutions
– adsorption isotherms – Freundlich‘s adsorption isotherm – Langmuir‘s adsorption isotherm – contact theory – kinetics of surface reactions, unimolecular reactions, Langmuir – applications of adsorption on pollution abatement. Catalysis: Catalyst – types of catalysis – criteria – autocatalysis – catalytic poisoning and catalytic promoters – acid base catalysis – applications (catalytic convertor) – enzyme catalysis– Michaelis – Menten equation.
UNIT III ALLOYS AND PHASE RULE 9
Alloys: Introduction- Definition- properties of alloys- significance of alloying, functions and effect of alloying elements- Nichrome and stainless steel (18/8) – heat treatment of steel. Phase rule: Introduction, definition of terms with examples, one component system -water system – reduced phase rule – thermal analysis and cooling curves – two component systems – lead-silver system – Pattinson process.
UNIT IV FUELS AND COMBUSTION 9
Fuels: Introduction – classification of fuels – coal – analysis of coal (proximate and ultimate) – carbonization – manufacture of metallurgical coke (Otto Hoffmann method) – petroleum – manufacture of synthetic petrol (Bergius process) – knocking – octane number – diesel oil – cetane number – natural gas – compressed natural gas (CNG) – liquefied petroleum gases (LPG) – power alcohol and biodiesel. Combustion of fuels: Introduction – calorific value – higher and lower calorific values- theoretical calculation of calorific value – ignition temperature – spontaneous ignition temperature – explosive range – flue gas analysis (ORSAT Method).
UNIT V ENERGY SOURCES AND STORAGE DEVICES 9
Nuclear fission – controlled nuclear fission – nuclear fusion – differences between nuclear fission and fusion – nuclear chain reactions – nuclear energy – light water nuclear power plant – breeder reactor – solar energy conversion – solar cells – wind energy. Batteries, fuel cells and supercapacitors: Types of batteries – primary battery (dry cell) secondary battery (lead acid battery, lithium-ion-battery) fuel cells
– H2-O2 fuel cell.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- The knowledge gained on engineering materials, fuels, energy sources and water treatment techniques will facilitate better understanding of engineering processes and applications for further learning.
- S. S. Dara and S. S. Umare, ―A Textbook of Engineering Chemistry‖, S. Chand & Company
LTD, New Delhi, 2015
- P. C. Jain and Monika Jain, ―Engineering Chemistry‖ Dhanpat Rai Publishing Company (P)
LTD, New Delhi, 2015
- S. Vairam, P. Kalyani and Suba Ramesh, ―Engineering Chemistry‖, Wiley India PVT, LTD, New Delhi, 2013.
- Friedrich Emich, ―Engineering Chemistry‖, Scientific International PVT, LTD, New Delhi, 2014.
- Prasanta Rath, ―Engineering Chemistry‖, Cengage Learning India PVT, LTD, Delhi, 2015.
- Shikha Agarwal, ―Engineering Chemistry-Fundamentals and Applications‖, Cambridge
University Press, Delhi, 2015.