CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY SYLLABUS 2017 REGULATION
ANNA UNIVERSITY CHENNAI EEE SYLLABUS 2017 REGULATION FOR CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY SYLLABUS 2017 REGULATION
Anna University CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY SYLLABUS 2017 Regulation has been revised for the Students who joined in the academic year 2017-2018. So revised syllabus for Anna University Chennai Electrical and electronics engineering syllabus 2017 Regulation is given below. you can download CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY Regulation 2017 2ndSemester eee Syllabus from the below link. Syllabus 2017 regulation for 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th Semester will be updated shortly and same can be downloaded year as soon as University announces. Anna University 1st year Syllabus Regulation 2017 is given below. CY8151 Syllabus for Regulation 2017 Students can be downloaded here.
CY8151 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY L T P C
3 0 0 3
- To make the students conversant with boiler feed water requirements, related problems and water treatment techniques.
- To develop an understanding of the basic concepts of phase rule and its applications to single and two component systems and appreciate the purpose and significance of alloys.
- Preparation, properties and applications of engineering materials.
- Types of fuels, calorific value calculations, manufacture of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels.
- Principles and generation of energy in batteries, nuclear reactors, solar cells, wind mills and fuel cells.
UNIT I WATER AND ITS TREATMENT 9
Hardness of water – types – expression of hardness – units – estimation of hardness of water by EDTA – numerical problems – boiler troubles (scale and sludge) – treatment of boiler feed water – Internal treatment (phosphate, colloidal, sodium aluminate and calgon conditioning) external treatment – Ion exchange process, zeolite process – desalination of brackish water – Reverse Osmosis.
UNIT II SURFACE CHEMISTRY AND CATALYSIS 9
Adsorption: Types of adsorption – adsorption of gases on solids – adsorption of solute from solutions – adsorption isotherms – Freundlich’s adsorption isotherm – Langmuir’s adsorption isotherm – contact theory – kinetics of surface reactions, unimolecular reactions, Langmuir – applications of adsorption onpollution abatement.
Catalysis: Catalyst – types of catalysis – criteria – autocatalysis – catalytic poisoning and catalytic promoters – acid base catalysis – applications (catalytic convertor) – enzyme catalysis– Michaelis – Menten equation.
UNIT III ALLOYS AND PHASE RULE 9
Alloys: Introduction- Definition- properties of alloys- significance of alloying, functions and effect of alloying elements- Nichrome and stainless steel (18/8) – heat treatment of steel. Phase rule: Introduction, definition of terms with examples, one component system -water system – reduced phase rule – thermal analysis and cooling curves – two component systems – lead-silver system – Pattinson process.
UNIT IV FUELS AND COMBUSTION 9
Fuels: Introduction – classification of fuels – coal – analysis of coal (proximate and ultimate) – carbonization – manufacture of metallurgical coke (Otto Hoffmann method) – petroleum – manufacture of synthetic petrol (Bergius process) – knocking – octane number – diesel oil – cetane number – natural gas – compressed natural gas (CNG) – liquefied petroleum gases (LPG) – power alcohol and biodiesel. Combustion of fuels: Introduction – calorific value – higher and lower calorific values- theoretical calculation of calorific value – ignition temperature – spontaneous ignition temperature – explosiverange – flue gas analysis (ORSAT Method).
UNIT V ENERGY SOURCES AND STORAGE DEVICES9
Nuclear fission – controlled nuclear fission – nuclear fusion – differences between nuclear fission and fusion – nuclear chain reactions – nuclear energy – light water nuclear power plant – breeder reactor – solar energy conversion – solar cells – wind energy. Batteries, fuel cells and supercapacitors: Types of batteries – primary battery (dry cell) secondary battery (lead acid battery, lithium-ion-battery) fuel cells – H2-O2 fuel cell.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- The knowledge gained on engineering materials, fuels, energy sources and water treatment
techniques will facilitate better understanding of engineering processes and applications for further learning.
1. S. S. Dara and S. S. Umare, “A Textbook of Engineering Chemistry”, S. Chand & Company LTD, New Delhi, 2015
2. P. C. Jain and Monika Jain, “Engineering Chemistry” Dhanpat Rai Publishing Company (P) LTD, New Delhi, 2015
3. S. Vairam, P. Kalyani and Suba Ramesh, “Engineering Chemistry”, Wiley India PVT, LTD, New Delhi, 2013.
1. Friedrich Emich, “Engineering Chemistry”, Scientific International PVT, LTD, New Delhi, 2014.
2. Prasanta Rath, “Engineering Chemistry”, Cengage Learning India PVT, LTD, Delhi, 2015.
3. Shikha Agarwal, “Engineering Chemistry-Fundamentals and Applications”, Cambridge University Press, Delhi, 2015.