CY6251 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY – II SYLLABUS REGULATION 2013
CY6251 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY – II L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To make the students conversant with boiler feed water requirements, related problems and water treatment techniques.
- Principles of electrochemical reactions, redox reactions in corrosion of materials and methods for corrosion prevention and protection of materials.
- Principles and generation of energy in batteries, nuclear reactors, solar cells, wind mills and fuel cells.
- Preparation, properties and applications of engineering materials.
- Types of fuels, calorific value calculations, manufacture of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels.
UNIT I WATER TECHNOLOGY 9
Introduction to boiler feed water-requirements-formation of deposits in steam boilers and heat exchangers- disadvantages (wastage of fuels, decrease in efficiency, boiler explosion) prevention of scale formation -softening of hard water -external treatment zeolite and demineralization – internal treatment- boiler compounds (phosphate, calgon, carbonate, colloidal) – caustic embrittlement -boiler corrosion-priming and foaming- desalination of brackish water –reverse osmosis.
UNIT II ELECTROCHEMISTRY AND CORROSION 9
Electrochemical cell – redox reaction, electrode potential- origin of electrode potential- oxidation potential- reduction potential, measurement and applications – electrochemical series and its significance – Nernst equation (derivation and problems). Corrosion- causes- factors- types-
chemical, electrochemical corrosion (galvanic, differential aeration), corrosion control – material selection and design aspects – electrochemical protection – sacrificial anode method and impressed current cathodic method. Paints- constituents and function. Electroplating of Copper and electroless plating of nickel.
UNIT III ENERGY SOURCES 9
Introduction- nuclear energy- nuclear fission- controlled nuclear fission- nuclear fusion- differences between nuclear fission and fusion- nuclear chain reactions- nuclear reactor power generator- classification of nuclear reactor- light water reactor- breeder reactor- solar energy conversion- solar cells- wind energy. Batteries and fuel cells:Types of batteries- alkaline battery- lead storage battery- nickel-cadmium battery- lithium battery- fuel cell H2 -O2 fuel cell- applications.
UNIT IV ENGINEERING MATERIALS 9
Abrasives: definition, classification or types, grinding wheel, abrasive paper and cloth. Refractories: definition, characteristics, classification, properties – refractoriness and RUL, dimensional stability, thermal spalling, thermal expansion, porosity; Manufacture of alumina, magnesite and silicon carbide, Portland cement- manufacture and properties – setting and hardening of cement, special cement- waterproof and white cement–properties and uses. Glass – manufacture, types, properties and uses.
UNIT V FUELS AND COMBUSTION 9
Fuel: Introduction- classification of fuels- calorific value- higher and lower calorific values- coal- analysis of coal (proximate and ultimate)- carbonization- manufacture of metallurgical coke (Otto Hoffmann method) – petroleum- manufacture of synthetic petrol (Bergius process)- knocking- octane number – diesel oil- cetane number – natural gas- compressed natural gas(CNG)- liquefied petroleum gases(LPG)- producer gas- water gas. Power alcohol and bio diesel. Combustion of fuels: introduction- theoretical calculation of calorific value- calculation of stoichiometry of fuel and air ratio- ignition temperature- explosive range – flue gas analysis (ORSAT Method).
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- The knowledge gained on engineering materials, fuels, energy sources and water treatment techniques will facilitate better understanding of engineering processes and applications for further learning.
- Vairam S, Kalyani P and SubaRamesh.,“Engineering Chemistry”., Wiley India PvtLtd.,New Delhi., 2011.
- DaraS.S,UmareS.S.“Engineering Chemistry”, S. Chand & Company Ltd., New Delhi , 2010.
1 Kannan P. and Ravikrishnan A., “Engineering Chemistry”, Sri Krishna Hi-tech Publishing Company Pvt. Ltd. Chennai, 2009.
- AshimaSrivastava and Janhavi N N., “Concepts of Engineering Chemistry”, ACME
Learning Private Limited., New Delhi., 2010.
- RenuBapna and Renu Gupta., “Engineering Chemistry”, Macmillan India Publisher Ltd.,2010.
4 Pahari A and Chauhan B., “Engineering Chemistry”., Firewall Media., New Delhi., 2010.