CS8603- DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS Syllabus 2017 Regulation,CS8603- DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
CS8603 DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To understand the foundations of distributed systems.
- To learn issues related to clock Synchronization and the need for global state in distributed systems.
- To learn distributed mutual exclusion and deadlock detection algorithms.
- To understand the significance of agreement, fault tolerance and recovery protocols in Distributed Systems.
- To learn the characteristics of peer-to-peer and distributed shared memory systems.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Introduction: Definition –Relation to computer system components –Motivation –Relation to parallel systems – Message-passing systems versus shared memory systems –Primitives for distributed communication –Synchronous versus asynchronous executions –Design issues and challenges. A model of distributed computations: A distributed program –A model of distributed executions –Models of communication networks –Global state – Cuts –Past and future cones of an event –Models of process communications. Logical Time: A framework for a system of logical clocks –Scalar time –Vector time – Physical clock synchronization: NTP.
UNIT II MESSAGE ORDERING & SNAPSHOTS 9
Message ordering and group communication: Message ordering paradigms –Asynchronous execution with synchronous communication –Synchronous program order on an asynchronous system –Group communication – Causal order (CO) – Total order. Global state and snapshot recording algorithms: Introduction –System model and definitions –Snapshot algorithms for FIFO channels
UNIT III DISTRIBUTED MUTEX & DEADLOCK 9
Distributed mutual exclusion algorithms: Introduction – Preliminaries – Lamport‘s algorithm – Ricart-Agrawala algorithm – Maekawa‘s algorithm – Suzuki–Kasami‘s broadcast algorithm. Deadlock detection in distributed systems: Introduction – System model – Preliminaries – Models of deadlocks – Knapp‘s classification – Algorithms for the single resource model, the AND model and the OR model.
UNIT IV RECOVERY & CONSENSUS 9
Checkpointing and rollback recovery: Introduction – Background and definitions – Issues in failure recovery – Checkpoint-based recovery – Log-based rollback recovery – Coordinated checkpointing algorithm – Algorithm for asynchronous checkpointing and recovery. Consensus and agreement algorithms: Problem definition – Overview of results – Agreement in a failure –free system – Agreement in synchronous systems with failures.
UNIT V P2P & DISTRIBUTED SHARED MEMORY 9
Peer-to-peer computing and overlay graphs: Introduction – Data indexing and overlays – Chord – Content addressable networks – Tapestry. Distributed shared memory: Abstraction and advantages – Memory consistency models –Shared memory Mutual Exclusion.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
At the end of this course, the students will be able to:
- Elucidate the foundations and issues of distributed systems
- Understand the various synchronization issues and global state for distributed systems.
- Understand the Mutual Exclusion and Deadlock detection algorithms in distributed systems
- Describe the agreement protocols and fault tolerance mechanisms in distributed systems.
- Describe the features of peer-to-peer and distributed shared memory systems
1. Kshemkalyani, Ajay D., and Mukesh Singhal. Distributed computing: principles, algorithms, and systems. Cambridge University Press, 2011.
2. George Coulouris, Jean Dollimore and Tim Kindberg, ―Distributed Systems Concepts and Design‖, Fifth Edition, Pearson Education, 2012.
1. Pradeep K Sinha, “Distributed Operating Systems: Concepts and Design”, Prentice Hall of India, 2007.
2. Mukesh Singhal and Niranjan G. Shivaratri. Advanced concepts in operating systems. McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1994.
3. Tanenbaum A.S., Van Steen M., ―Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms‖, Pearson Education, 2007.
4. Liu M.L., ―Distributed Computing, Principles and Applications‖, Pearson Education, 2004.
5. Nancy A Lynch, ―Distributed Algorithms‖, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, USA, 2003.