AP7005 QUANTUM ELECTRONICS L T P C 3 0 0 3
- know the concepts of EM fields and wave equations.
- study the types of lasers and its characteristics.
- know the various methos of scattering.
- learn the concept of Non-linear optics.
UNIT-I BASIC THEOREMS AND POSTULATES OF QUANTUM MECHANICS 9
Introduction to Quantum Electronics- Résumé of electromagnetic theory-Waveguides-Planar-mirror waveguides-Modes in dielectric slab waveguides-Effective Index Method-Guided wave coupling and interference-Coupled Mode Theory-Directional coupler-Mode coupling in periodic waveguides-Mode interference-The Schrodinger wave equation, some solutions of time independent Schrodinger equation, Matrix formulation of quantum mechanics, Lattice vibration and their quantization, Electromagnetic fields and their quantization.
UNIT II LASER 9
Gaussian beam in a homogenous medium, Gaussian beam in a lens waveguide, Elliptic Gaussian beams, Optical resonators, Spontaneous and induced transitions, gain coefficient, homogenous and inhomogeneous broadening, Laser oscillations, Semiconductor laser, quantum well laser, modulation of optical radiation, Q switching and Mode locking of laser, Quantum wires and dots, Laser arrays, Concept of super modes, Phase amplitude in laser, Free electron lasers.
UNIT III NONLINEAR OPTICS 9
Introduction to nonlinear (NL) optics, 2nd order NL effects-The nonlinear optical susceptibility tensor, Second harmonic generation, parametric oscillations, parametric amplifiers, Applications–Nonlinear polarization –physical origin-Complex notation, conservation laws-Second Harmonic Generation,
Birefringence and Quasi- Phase Matching-3rd order NL effects-Self-Phase Modulation, Optical soliton- Stimulated Raman Scattering-Electro-optic (EO) modulation of light-Linear EO effect, Phase retardation-Amplitude, and Phase modulation-Traveling wave modulator
UNIT IV STIMULATED RAMAN AND BRILLOUIN SCATTERING 9
Stimulated Raman scattering, Antisokes scattering, stimulated Brillouin scattering, self focusing of optical beams.
UNIT V NOISE 9
Noise in laser amplifier and oscillator, Laser spectra, Measurements
- Amnon Yariv, “Quantum Electronics”, John Wiley 1989
- Max Schubert, Bernd Wilhelmi, “Nonlinear optics and quantum electronics”, Wiley- Interscience 1986
- D.Marcuse, “Principle of Quantum Electronics”, Cambridge 1980
- David Klyshko, “Physical Foundations of Quantum Electronics” , World Scientific 2011
- J.T. Verdeyen, “Laser Electronics”, Prentice-Hall 1995
- Harisson Paul, “Quantum Wells, Wires and Dots”, Wiley 2011
- G.P.Agarwal and N.K.Dutta, “Long Wavelength Semiconductor lasers”, Van Nostrand Reinhold 1986
- A.Yariv, “Optical Electronics”, CBS College Publishing 1984