AE8302- ELEMENTS OF AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ELEMENTS OF AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING AE8302- ELEMENTS OF AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING Syllabus 2017 Regulation
AE8302 ELEMENTS OF AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING L T P C 3 0 0 3
- Understand the Historical evaluation of Airplanes
- Study the different component systems and functions
- Understand the basic properties and principles behind the flight
- Study the different structures & construction
- Study the various types of power plants used in aircrafts
UNIT I HISTORY OF FLIGHT 8
Balloon flight-ornithopers-Early Airplanes by Wright Brothers, biplanes and monoplanes, Developments in aerodynamics, materials, structures and propulsion over the years.
UNIT II AIRCRAFT CONFIGURATIONS AND ITS CONTROLS 10
Different types of flight vehicles, classifications-Components of an airplane and their functions- Conventional control, powered control- Basic instruments for flying-Typical systems for control actuation.
UNIT III BASICS OF AERODYNAMICS 9
Physical Properties and structures of the Atmosphere, Temperature, pressure and altitude relationships, Newton’s Law of Motions applied to Aeronautics-Evolution of lift, drag and moment. Aerofoils, Mach number, Maneuvers.
UNIT IV BASICS OF PROPULSION 9
Basic ideas about piston, turboprop and jet engines – use of propeller and jets for thrust production- Comparative merits, Principle of operation of rocket, types of rocket and typical applications, Exploration into space.
UNIT V BASICS OF AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES 9
General types of construction, Monocoque, semi-monocoque and geodesic constructions, typical wing and fuselage structure. Metallic and non-metallic materials. Use of Aluminium alloy, titanium, stainless steel and composite materials. Stresses and strains-Hooke’s law- stress-strain diagrams-elastic constants-Factor of Safety.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
- Learn the history of aircraft & developments over the years
- Ability to identify the types & classifications of components and control systems
- Understand the basic concepts of flight & Physical properties of Atmosphere
- An ability to differentiate the types of fuselage and constructions.
- Different types of Engines and principles of Rocket
- Anderson, J.D., Introduction to Flight, McGraw-Hill; 8th edition , 2015
- Stephen.A. Brandt, Introduction to aeronautics: A design perspective, 2nd edition, AIAA Education Series, 2004.
1. Kermode, A.C. Flight without Formulae, Pearson Education; Eleven edition, 2011